Breakfast host: I was going to leave anyway

Section
Spy News,
Publish Date
Sunday, 18 December 2016, 10:28AM

Rawdon Christie has opened up about being axed from Breakfast, saying he's glad TVNZ made the call and he doesn't miss it at all.

Christie and his co-host Nadine Chalmers-Ross got the chop during TVNZ's shake up earlier this year, which paved the way for Hilary Barry and Jack Tame to take over.

Rawdon Christie with his Breakfast co-host Nadine Chalmers-Ross. Photo / Norrie Montgomery

In his first interview since leaving the show in September, Christie told the Woman's Day that not only was being let go "exactly what I needed", but he was planning on leaving anyway.

The 4am starts, early nights and extreme stress of the job was becoming too much for Christie.

"There's no doubt in my mind that I was coming to the end of my time on Breakfast and I was already making plans for the next step. So in a way this has just been an opportunity," he says.

READ MORE: • Sonny Bill welcomes second childHas Keisha Castle-Hughes got a new man?

"I was tired. And I think five years in that sort of a job is plenty for anyone."

His wife Jo agrees, saying she and their three kids - Oliver, Georgie and Charlie - are feeling the difference now that the stress is gone.

"I'd say he's definitely happier an probably more patient. We are all breathing a bit more easily when that stress isn't there."

Rawdon Christie is much happier, healthier and more stress-free now. Photo / Jason Dorday

Once he left the show, Christie took his family on a skiing holiday and a trip to UK before he and his wife took a romantic week away in Hawaii, and he's not planning on giving up his new-found freedom anytime soon.

"It's quite fun at the moment. It's the first time in my life I can take the opportunity to think, 'What am I good at? What do I love? What do I need?' I've got room to breathe, relax and enjoy the family. I'm happier than I've been in a long time and really excited about the future".