Police have confirmed they are investigating an accusation of sexual battery against former child star and anti-paedophilia campaigner Corey Feldman.
Los Angeles Police Department said a woman lodged a complaint against the 46-year-old actor this week in relation to an incident that allegedly took place in February last year.
Feldman today denied the allegation in a strongly worded tweet, saying "the last thing I would ever want is 2 make some1 feel taken advantage of in any way (sic)".
WE R FIGHTING THIS WAR OF INNAPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR AGAINST ALL HUMAN BEINGS, BECAUSE OF MY OWN PAINFUL EXPERIENCES, SO THE LAST THING I WOULD EVER WANT IS 2 MAKE SOME1 FEEL TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF IN ANY WAY. I ASSURE U MY ATTORNEYS R DELAING W THESE EGREGIOUS ALLEGATIONS AS WE SPEAK!
— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) January 10, 2018
Police have refused to reveal details of the alleged incident but NME reported this morning that Feldman is accused of groping the alleged victim's buttocks.
"On January 8 of this year, we had a female victim who filed a police report of sexual battery and the suspect is named as Corey Feldman," LAPD spokesman Sal Ramirez told reporters overnight.
"The incident occurred on February 4, 2017. [The] robbery/homicide division is handling the investigation."
Feldman has been open about claims he was sexually molested as a child. He named bit actor Jon Grissom and Hollywood identity Alphy Hoffman, whose real name is Alphy Rivas, as two of his alleged abusers during appearances on the Dr Oz show in November.
He told news anchor Megyn Kelly that convicted sex offender Marty Weiss also abused him.
The LAPD briefly opened an investigation into Feldman's Hollywood paedophile ring claims in November, but dropped it just days later, saying that the statute of limitations had passed.
Last month Feldman shared excerpts of a lost 1993 audio recording he said was made during an interview with officers from Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office in which he named Grissom as one of his abusers.
IT IS BEST 4 ALL OF R INTERESTS THAT WE DO R BEST 2 MARCH ON LEADING THE WAY, 2 FIGHT 4 CHANGE & JUSTICE IN THE NAME OF ALL WHO R INNOCENT IN THIS WORLD! PLEASE KEEP BEATING THE DRUM ABOUT CHANGING THE SOLS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, & WE WILL KEEP FIGHTING NO MATTER WHAT! GOD BLESS!
— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) January 10, 2018
Feldman was 15 years old at the time of the alleged abuse, which he says he endured for 18 months, and believed police were pursuing his allegations against Grissom.
He found out later that the real reason police called him in was to gather information relating to child molestation claims against his friend, pop superstar Michael Jackson.
"They weren't interested in Jon Grissom," Feldman told Dr Mehmet Oz.
The actor said if the police had acted after his interview, it could have stopped Grissom from abusing others.
He also speculated that the police pursued their own agenda in going after Jackson instead of following up the claims against Grissom.
"They were trying to frame Michael Jackson and bury the Corey Feldman story," he said.
"[I've] spent my entire life fighting this battle. No one was listening then. No one is listening now. (The) LAPD is still not investigating it."
The star of The Goonies and Stand By Me revealed last October that he had given Santa Barbara police the names of the men (Jackson was not on the list) who abused him at the time in taped interviews but investigators never followed up on the allegations.
The Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office responded by casting Feldman as a liar, claiming no such recordings existed. On December 6 they were sensationally admitted the lost tapes had been found in police archives, where they had been gathering dust for 25 years.
"Following the recent inquiries into the Sheriff's Office interview of Mr. Feldman in 1993, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office conducted an additional review for any stored items remaining from the Michael Jackson investigation," Sheriff's Office spokesman Kelly Hoover said in a statement at the time.
"In a container which included the original reports from the investigation, the Sheriff's Office located some detective working copies of audio recordings made during the investigation. A copy of Mr. Feldman's interview was located.
ITS BEEN AN INTERESTING DAY, BUT THAT WONT SLOW US DOWN! WE MUST KEEP FIGHTING 2 CHANGE THE LAWS W THE #CVA IN NYSTATE, ALONG W @child_usa & WE ALSO STILL NEED UR SUPPORT OVER HERE, 2 #PRESERVEINNOCENCE SO PLEASE KEEP IT COMING! U CAN DONATE HERE: https://t.co/aKgQ7I9Zv0
— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) January 11, 2018
"The recording is being turned over to the Los Angeles Police Department. Due to the fact that this case involves the alleged sexual abuse of a child, we are unable to comment further and any documentation or evidence related to this case is exempt from release."
In his 2013 biography Coreyography, Feldman claimed young actors, including himself and his good friend Corey Haim, were targeted by a Hollywood paedophile ring.
Canadian-born Haim was a teen idol in the 1980s but spiralled into drug and alcohol addiction before succumbing to pneumonia in 2010 at the age of just 38, after having survived a string of overdoses.
It later emerged that Haim had been self medicating to cope with the sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of older male predators as a young actor.
In November Haim's childhood friend, actor Dominick Brascia, sensationally alleged that the former child star had been sexually assaulted by disgraced actor Charlie Sheen while the pair were filming the movie Lucas.
The movie was released in 1986 but Haim would have been aged around 13 during production. Sheen has denied the allegation.
Meanwhile, Feldman is trying to raise US$10 million through crowd-funding to finance a movie about sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry.
THE WAR CONTINUES, WE WILL NOT QUIT UNTIL THE FILM IS MADE, THE STORY IS TOLD, & THE #TRUTH IS EXPOSED! JOIN THE FIGHT BY DONATING HERE: https://t.co/aKgQ7HSoDs #PRESERVEINNOCENCE #CoreysTruthCampaign2 #ISTANDWITHCOREY
— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) January 3, 2018
He wants to make the movie independently "to avoid censorship" and says that he will use the donated money to ensure it gets distributed to theatres for wide release.
So far, the campaign has raised just over $US273,151.